Career Opportunities at the JCC
Thank you for your interest in working for the Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center, JACOBS FAMILY CAMPUS. The Lawrence Family JCC is an equal opportunity employer.
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Supervision of: General Accountant, AR, Payroll.
General Statement: The Controller is the key accounting position at the LFJCC. This person will be knowledgeable about not-for-profit accounting rules, excellent manager of the balance sheet and good understanding of internal management accounting and presentations. They will be a strong supportive supervisor and with an impeccable record of integrity and ethics. They will have a sense of urgency about accuracy and timeliness of financial information and a passion for processes and procedures. The Controller will have the ability to respond to fast moving business programs and seasonal activity. They will be able to explain and maintain strong interdepartmental relationships and be right hand support to the CFO. They will ideally have a passion for, and an interest in, the mission of the Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center.
- Month End Closing/ Year End Closing
- Run all reports necessary to input income for the month
- Enter all closing journal entries
- Review balance sheet for appropriate balances and content
- Review Cash reconciliation
- Review AP and AR and ensure balances are supported by module and Trinexum revenue report.
- Review pledges and ensure that invoicing is completed, prior to issuance obtain sign off from Director of Development and CFO.
- Create monthly income statements for review by Executive management and recommend adjusting entries to CFO
- Distribute operational financial statements to department heads and review with all department heads by formal review process.
- Answer any questions from department heads about detailed backup and adjust accounts accordingly
- Run final version of income statement for CFO’s monthly presentation to the Board of Directors/Executive committee by 10th business day of month.
- For year end, prepare all schedules and complete balance sheet review and accruals for correct Income Statement presentation.
- Ensure fixed assets, depreciation are correctly recorded, monthly and at year end. Accrue all outstanding income and expenses at year end
- Audit Duties
- Create and support compilation of audit schedules for annual audit
- Working with Director of Financial Analysis and Internal Audit, review internal audit schedule and prepare reports on internal controls. In addition, working with Director of Internal audit ensure annual audits of payroll, end of season camp income and related fee income, preschool income and other accounts as needed.
- City, State, and Federal Reporting
- File annual Welfare Exemption
- File annual County Property Tax forms
- File quarterly sales taxes if needed, review processes and procedures for income generated and ensure appropriate sales tax is being charged and collected.
- File quarterly TOT reports for reimbursement
- Budgetary Duties
- Work with Director of Financial Analysis and Internal Audit to create annual departmental budgets.
- Once agency budget is approved by Board of Directors, enter into general ledger software.
- Prepare monthly variance statements and send income statements to department heads with appropriate comment and detail.
- Facilitate resolution of issues with expenses and income to ensure accuracy and timely information.
- Supervisory Duties
- Directly supervise the cashier and accounts receivable and General accountant and payroll.
- Backup accounting positions and their duties as needed
- Controller of CJC
- Prepare monthly budget notes to be presented by the Treasurer of the SDCJC Board of Directors Meetings
- Attend Board of Director meetings with CFO and when CFO is unavailable.
- Aid the Associate Director of Development with the City of San Diego TOT Grant Proposal with any financial information need
- Invoice underwriters for any outstanding pledges due
- Attend weekly CJC staff meetings
Qualifications: Bachelors or Masters in Accounting, with an emphasis in not-for-profit by way of experience and/or training. CPA or CMA.
Experience: At least 5 years’ experience as a Controller. Desirable that at least some of that is in a not for profit organization. Demonstrated experience in implementing and monitoring internal controls. Demonstrated experience in good reporting and timely financials.
Skills: Excellent Excel skills and Microsoft Office in General. Knowledge of Financial Edge, Trinexum. Experience with merchant payment systems. General facility with technology.
Position: Assistant Teen Director
The ideal Assistant Teen Director is highly energetic, motivated and self-driven, a positive role model, with a highly flexible schedule. They are a team player while able to take initiative to get things done. They will have knowledge and interest in Jewish culture and enjoy working with teens. They are familiar with Jewish programming and/or Jewish Teen programming. They are creative and organized as well as able to handle ambiguity. The ideal candidate can execute routine administration in a busy, active program.
Strong knowledge of Microsoft office, especially Excel. High School Diploma, Degree a plus!
Desired Experience: Experience working with teens in a camp setting, teen mentoring, buddy programs, and/or demonstrated strong connection with teens. Must be able to lift 25lbs.
-Assists Teen Director with teen programming and activities and projects as needed.
-Assists Teen Director in creating schedule and logistics of operating Partners in Prevention
-Assists Teen Director to organize logistics for the JCC Maccabi Games
- Assists Teen Director in scheduling/booking hotels/itineraries, etc. for teen trips
-Participates in the programming for Teen Leadership Council
-Oversees and runs Middle School programming
-Active recruitment for teen events and outreach opportunities
-Supervisor for teen nights, held in the Wax Family Teen Lounge
-Chaperones and helps facilitate ALL teen events (includes weekends, overnight and day trips, college tours)
Starting as soon as possible until June, 2015. However, there is a possibility of extension depending on funding and skill set of the individual hired.
This is a part time, temporary and non-exempt, hourly position.
To APPLY: All applications should be sent to email@example.com with a current resume and cover letter.
We are always accepting resumes for the following positions:
• Camp Jaycee Staff
• Fitness Center Attendant
• Swim Coaches & Instructors
• Theatre Technicians
We are always looking for volunteers for various programs at the Lawrence Family JCC and San Diego Center for Jewish Culture.
If you are interested in volunteering, please FILL OUT THIS FORM.